Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin

Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin

Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin, Armavir

Top 10

Open

Mon - Sun: 07:00 - 20:00

Admission

Free

Type

Church

Distance From Yerevan

22 km from Yerevan center

Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin

Overview

The Holy See of Echmiadzin was built in 301 in Vagharshapat – the capital of Armenia at the time. According to Agatangeghos - the Armenian historian of 5th century, on this very site Jesus Christ descended in Gregory the Illuminator’s vision telling him to build a church there. Hence the name of Echmiadzin, which translated from Armenian means \'the coming of The Only Begotten\'. The church was rebuilt in 480 by prince Vahan Mamikonyan, and the architectural style of that construction remained to our day. The main cupola was reconstructed by Movses Syunetsi catholicos in 1627 and the western bell-tower – by Pilipos Syunetsi in 1654. The three bell-towers above the apses were built in 1682 by Yeghiazar catholicos. And the annex – by Gevorg IV catholicos in 1868.

Location

Image

Mother Cathedral of Holy Echmiadzin
20.39° C
few clouds

icon

Get the latest news and offers

Subscribe to our newsletter